“Can you help us build the aero bike of tomorrow?”
Jochim Aerts, founder Ridley Bikes
Ridley, an innovator in the area of bicycle technical know-how, asked Voxdale—as a specialist in aerodynamics—to work together with them on the development of the next generation of Noah Fast racing bicycles.
The goal was to create a racer that would be even faster and more aerodynamic—the fastest professional racer within UCI regulations.
In 2017, Ridley and Voxdale conducted a preliminary investigation into the state of aerodynamics in the competitive cycling world.
In doing so, they examined the parts that contribute to rider comfort and the speed of bicycles. The preliminary investigation resulted in
a list of bicycle parts that they wanted to develop, with the technical requirements for each part.
With this design brief, Voxdale set to work, making sketched studies of the desired parts. Based on this study—and additional analysis
and selection—Voxdale made digital 3D models of the parts. These 3D models were subsequently simulated in a virtual wind tunnel with
help from the CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). Using this software, Voxdale mimicked the airstream from various angles of
approach. They were able to extensively analyse the effects of the airstream on every part of the bike and optimise the 3D models for the next step.
Features of the Noah Fast
- F-Tubing: The same ‘truncated teardrop shape’ is used everywhere in the frame. The windflow is optimised across the tubing from different approaches.
- F-Wings: ‘Wings’ on the underside of the fork reduce turbulence
caused by the front wheel hub.
- F-surface Plus: There is a small notch in the tubing. This creates ‘mini-turbulence’. As a result, wind that previously collided with the frame under a curve or angle now stays attached for longer,
reducing the turbulence behind the frame (the golf ball effect).
- F-steerer: The D-shaped steering tubing ensures that all cables
are completely integrated into the steering/axle spindle and the
- Complete integration of all components: The steering, the
saddle and the forks blend seamlessly into the frame.
Want to know more? Call us, or